Wednesday 14 October 1964
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic). In that special week of October people in US were listening to Do Wah Diddy Diddy by Manfred Mann.
In UK Oh Pretty Woman by Roy Orbison was in the top 5 hits.
My Fair Lady, directed by George Cukor, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1964
while The Spy Who Came In From The Cold by John le Carré was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1964.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 October 1964!
Which were the important events of 14 October 1964 ?
- Also see October 14 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- French Republican Calendar - Navet (Turnip) Day, twenty-third day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Teachers' Day, or National Education Day in Poland
- World Standards Day (from ISO, IEC, ITU)
- RC Saints - Pope Callistus I
- World Organ Donation Day
- Neşe Erberk: Turkish model and businesswoman Miss Europe 1984.
- Joe Girardi: Peoria, Illinois -- Catcher (New York Yankees).
- David Kaye: Canadian voice actor.
- Olu Oguibe: Nigerian-American painter author and critic.
- Jim Rome: American sports talk show host.
- Tracy Mackness: English entrepreneur and former criminal, jailed for a drug offence. During her prison term she earned qualifications in pig husbandry and after her release started the Giggly Pig company, which would become a successful business selling sausages and hog roasts at farmers' markets across the UK.
- Pieter Axe: Soccer player (FC Utrecht / SC Heerenveen)
- Philips begins experimenting with color TV
- Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle hit HRs runs on back-to-back pitches
- Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts weds Shirley Shepherd
- Martin Luther King Jr wins Nobel Peace Prize.
- Leonid Brezhnev becomes the General Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union, and thereby, along with his allies - such as Alexei Kosygin - the leader of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics (USSR), ousting the former monolithic leader Nikita Khrushchev, and sending him into retirement as a nonperson in the USSR.
- The Labour Party wins the parliamentary elections in the United Kingdom, ending 13 years of Conservative Party rule. The new prime minister is Harold Wilson.
- Craig Breedlove's jet-powered car ''Spirit of America'' goes out of control in Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah and makes skid marks 9.6nbspkm long.
- The St. Louis Cardinals defeat the visiting New York Yankees, 7–5 to win the World Series in 7 games (4–3), ending a long run of 29 World Series appearances in 44 seasons for the Bronx Bombers (also known as the ''Yankee Dynasty'').
- Harold Wilson becomes British Prime Minister after leading the Labour Party to a narrow election win over the Tory government of Sir Alec Douglas-Home, which had been in power for 13 years and had four different leaders during that time.
- The People's Republic of China explodes an atomic bomb in Sinkiang.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1964 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Manfred Mann - Do Wah Diddy Diddy
- Martha & the Vandellas - Dancing In The Street
- Roy Orbison - Oh, Pretty Woman
- Gale Garnett - We'll Sing In The Sunshine
- J. Frank Wilson and the Cavaliers - Last Kiss
- The Shangri-Las - Remember (Walkin' In The Sand)
- Chad Stuart and Jeremy Clyde - A Summer Song
- Gene Pitney - It Hurts To Be In Love
- When I Grow Up (To Be A Man) - The Beach Boys
- Betty Everett - Let It Be Me
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?