Monday 14 September 1936
It was Monday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
The Devil Is a Sissy, directed by W.S. Van Dyke, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1936
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 September 1936!
Which were the important events of 14 September 1936 ?
- Eastern Orthodox Church - Exaltation of the Cross, which commemorates the discovery of the (allegedly) original Christian cross in 326 by Helena, mother of Constantine, as well as the recovery from the Persians by Heraclius in 628.
- Formerly, in the Roman Catholic and Anglican churches, the Wednesday, Friday and Saturday following 14 September were observed as one of the four sets of Ember days. In the Irish calendar they were known as Quarter tense.
- Roman Catholic Church - Triumph of the Cross (compare May 3, Finding of the Holy Cross).
- In ancient Greece, the first day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, during which the sacred objects were brought from Eleusis to Athens.
- Nicol Williamson: Scottish actor, a brilliant performer on stage and screen, whose performances were sometimes marked by tempestuous behavior.
- Harry Danielsen: Norwegian educator and politician (d. 2011).
- Stan Williams: Baseball pitcher (New York Yankees, LA Dodgers).
- Terence Donovan: English photographer and director (d. 1996).
- Terence Daniel Donovan: Photographer.
- Walter Koenig: American actor producer and screenwriter
- Ferid Murad: American physician and pharmacologist, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine
- Lucas Samaras: Greek-American painter and photographer
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 14 September 1936 and get them!