Saturday 14 September 1940
It was Saturday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Leo H Ferrier and Larry Brown.
City for Conquest, directed by Anatole Litvak, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 September 1940!
Which were the important events of 14 September 1940 ?
- Eastern Orthodox Church - Exaltation of the Cross, which commemorates the discovery of the (allegedly) original Christian cross in 326 by Helena, mother of Constantine, as well as the recovery from the Persians by Heraclius in 628.
- Formerly, in the Roman Catholic and Anglican churches, the Wednesday, Friday and Saturday following 14 September were observed as one of the four sets of Ember days. In the Irish calendar they were known as Quarter tense.
- Roman Catholic Church - Triumph of the Cross (compare May 3, Finding of the Holy Cross).
- In ancient Greece, the first day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, during which the sacred objects were brought from Eleusis to Athens.
- Leo H Ferrier: Suriname -- Writer (Atman).
- Larry Brown: American basketball head Coach, 76ers.
- Didier Geslain: French astrologer and data collector, the publisher of a small bimonthly newsletter of data.
- Jacques Godin: Canadian film and television actor.
- Congress passes 1st peace-time conscription bill (draft law)
- German bomb hits shelter in Chelsea; 100s die
- US Congress passes first peace-time conscription bill (draft law).
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?