Wednesday 14 September 1949
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Thieves' Highway, directed by Jules Dassin, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1949
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 September 1949!
Which were the important events of 14 September 1949 ?
- Eastern Orthodox Church - Exaltation of the Cross, which commemorates the discovery of the (allegedly) original Christian cross in 326 by Helena, mother of Constantine, as well as the recovery from the Persians by Heraclius in 628.
- Formerly, in the Roman Catholic and Anglican churches, the Wednesday, Friday and Saturday following 14 September were observed as one of the four sets of Ember days. In the Irish calendar they were known as Quarter tense.
- Roman Catholic Church - Triumph of the Cross (compare May 3, Finding of the Holy Cross).
- In ancient Greece, the first day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, during which the sacred objects were brought from Eleusis to Athens.
- Steve Gaines: American musician.
- Gérard Larcher: French politician who has been President of the Senate of France since 2014.
- Ed King: American guitarist and songwriter (Lynyrd Skynyrd Hunger and Strawberry Alarm Clock).
- Tommy Seebach: Danish singer-songwriter pianist and producer (Sir Henry and his Butlers) (d. 2003).
- : American guitarist and songwriter (MC5 and Sonic's Rendezvous Band) (d. 1994).
- Eikichi Yazawa: Japanese singer-songwriter
- Anthony Clemente: American homicide: convicted along with his son Damian for the Charlestown restaurant massacre in which four men were shot to death and a fifth survived only because "Cleo" ran out of bullets. A third shooter, Vincent Perez, was convicted of possession of a firearm but not of murder. Killed in a barrage of bullets were Robert Luisi, 55, his son Roman, 25, his nephew Anthony Sarro, 32, and family friend Anthony Pelosi, 53. Wounded was Richard Sarro, 28.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 14 September 1949 and get them!