Tuesday 14 September 1954
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
In UK Three Coins In The Fountain by Frank Sinatra was in the top 5 hits.
Brigadoon, directed by Vincente Minnelli, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1954
while Mary Anne by Daphne du Maurier was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1954.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 September 1954!
Which were the important events of 14 September 1954 ?
- Eastern Orthodox Church - Exaltation of the Cross, which commemorates the discovery of the (allegedly) original Christian cross in 326 by Helena, mother of Constantine, as well as the recovery from the Persians by Heraclius in 628.
- Formerly, in the Roman Catholic and Anglican churches, the Wednesday, Friday and Saturday following 14 September were observed as one of the four sets of Ember days. In the Irish calendar they were known as Quarter tense.
- Roman Catholic Church - Triumph of the Cross (compare May 3, Finding of the Holy Cross).
- In ancient Greece, the first day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, during which the sacred objects were brought from Eleusis to Athens.
- Barry Cowsill: American singer-songwriter keyboard player and producer (The Cowsills) (d. 2005).
- David Wojnarowicz: American artist, painter, sculptor, and writer.
- Benoît Rivière: French Catholic clergyman, the Bishop of Autun, Chalon and Mâcon, and Abbot of Cluny since 30 April 2006.
- Hurricane Edna (second of 1954) hits New York City, causing US$50 million damage.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1954 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?