Thursday 14 September 1961
It was Thursday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Antonia De Sancha and Martina Gedeck.
In that special week of September people in US were listening to Michael by The Highwaymen.
In UK Johnny Remember Me by John Leyton was in the top 5 hits.
The City of the Dead, directed by John Moxey, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Agony And The Ecstasy by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Cain's Hundred.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 September 1961!
Which were the important events of 14 September 1961 ?
- Eastern Orthodox Church - Exaltation of the Cross, which commemorates the discovery of the (allegedly) original Christian cross in 326 by Helena, mother of Constantine, as well as the recovery from the Persians by Heraclius in 628.
- Formerly, in the Roman Catholic and Anglican churches, the Wednesday, Friday and Saturday following 14 September were observed as one of the four sets of Ember days. In the Irish calendar they were known as Quarter tense.
- Roman Catholic Church - Triumph of the Cross (compare May 3, Finding of the Holy Cross).
- In ancient Greece, the first day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, during which the sacred objects were brought from Eleusis to Athens.
- Antonia De Sancha: London, England -- Lover of British MP David Mellor.
- Martina Gedeck: Martina Gedeck is a German actress.
- Freeman Mbowe: Tanzanian politician and businessman.
- Wendy Thomas: namesake of the eponymous restaurant (Wendy's).
- Dmitri Shostakovitch becomes member of CP of the USSR
- The new military government of Turkey sentences 15 members of the previous government to death.
- The Focolare Movement opens its first North American center in New York.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Highwaymen - Michael
- Bobby Vee - Take Good Care Of My Baby
- The Jive Five - My True Story
- Timi Yuro - Hurt
- Ral Donner - You Don't Know What You've Got (Until You Lose It)
- Joe Dowell - Wooden Heart
- Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavor (On The Bedpost Over Night) - Lonnie Donegan and His Skiffle Group
- Barry Mann - Who Put The Bomp (In The Bomp, Bomp, Bomp)
- Elvis Presley - Little Sister
- Adam Wade - As If I Didn't Know
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?