Wednesday 15 April 1959
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of April people in US were listening to Come Softly To Me by The Fleetwoods.
In UK Side Saddle by Russ Conway was in the top 5 hits.
Imitation of Life, directed by Douglas Sirk, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while The Ugly American by William J. Lederer and Eugene Burdick was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1959.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 April 1959!
Which were the important events of 15 April 1959 ?
- Major League Baseball celebrates "Jackie Robinson Day" each April 15 in all MLB ballparks.
- Saint Paternus
- Saint Petrus Gonzalez
- In the United States, April 15 is the official deadline for filing tax returns: all forms mailed to the IRS must be postmarked no later than this day, so many post offices across the country stay open until midnight to accommodate procrastinators (or those who owe tax and want to wait as late as possible to pay). (If this day falls on the weekend, as in 2006, the following Monday becomes the deadline. Additionally in 2006, Patriot's Day moved the tax deadline to Tuesday, April 18, for those in
- Father Damien Day ? celebrated annually in Hawai'i.
- Arirang Festival is held in North Korea to commemorate Kim Il-sung's birth.
- Saint Hunna.
- Saint Basilissa
- Blessed Waltman of Antwerp
- Ancient Latvia ? Tipsa Diena was observed.
- Roman Empire ? the Fordicia was celebrated in honor of Terra.
- Thomas F Wilson: American actor.
- Kevin Lowe in Lachute: Quebec, Canada; NHL defenseman (New York Rangers).
- Fruit Chan: Chinese director producer and screenwriter.
- Kevin Lowe: Canadian ice hockey player coach and manager.
- Thomas Wilson: American actor producer and screenwriter.
- Emma Thompson: British actress, the member of a theatrical family. She was raised in a household where illness shadowed everyday life. A voracious reader, she went to Cambridge planning to study English literature but soon discovered acting. She found a knack for comedy and became female lead on "Me and My Girl" in the West End in 1985. The following year she moved into drama in the BBC miniseries "Fortunes of War." Meeting Kenneth Branagh, they began to collaborate off screen as well as on and they married on
- Fidel Castro begins US goodwill tour.
- US Secretary of State John Foster Dulles resigns.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Fleetwoods - Come Softly To Me
- Frankie Avalon - Venus
- Dodie Stevens - Pink Shoe Laces
- Brook Benton - It's Just A Matter Of Time
- Thomas Wayne - Tragedy
- Ricky Nelson - Never Be Anyone Else But You
- The Coasters - Charlie Brown
- Elvis Presley - (Now And Then There's) A Fool Such As I
- The Virtues - Guitar Boogie Shuffle
- Elvis Presley - I Need Your Love Tonight
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?