Sunday 15 April 1973
It was Sunday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican). In that special week of April people in US were listening to The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia by Vicki Lawrence.
In UK Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Old Oak Tree by Dawn featuring Tony Orlando was in the top 5 hits.
High Plains Drifter, directed by Clint Eastwood, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1973
while The Odessa File by Frederick Forsyth was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 April 1973!
Which were the important events of 15 April 1973 ?
- Major League Baseball celebrates "Jackie Robinson Day" each April 15 in all MLB ballparks.
- Saint Paternus
- Saint Petrus Gonzalez
- In the United States, April 15 is the official deadline for filing tax returns: all forms mailed to the IRS must be postmarked no later than this day, so many post offices across the country stay open until midnight to accommodate procrastinators (or those who owe tax and want to wait as late as possible to pay). (If this day falls on the weekend, as in 2006, the following Monday becomes the deadline. Additionally in 2006, Patriot's Day moved the tax deadline to Tuesday, April 18, for those in
- Father Damien Day ? celebrated annually in Hawai'i.
- Arirang Festival is held in North Korea to commemorate Kim Il-sung's birth.
- Saint Hunna.
- Saint Basilissa
- Blessed Waltman of Antwerp
- Ancient Latvia ? Tipsa Diena was observed.
- Roman Empire ? the Fordicia was celebrated in honor of Terra.
- Olivier Nakache: French film director, most known for the 2011 film 'The Untouchables', which he created jointly with Eric Toledano.
- Jeremy Burkett: NFL / WLAF tight end (New York Giants, Barcelona Dragons).
- 2nd Colgate Dinah Shore Golf Championship won by Mickey Wright
- Walt Disney Story opens
- Naim Talu, a former civil servant forms the new government of Turkey (36th government)
- The German counter-terrorist force GSG 9amp!-- confirmed here --amp is officially formed.
- Federal Express officially begins operations, with the launch of 14 small aircraft from Memphis International Airport. On that night, Federal Express delivers 186 packages to 25 U.S. cities from Rochester, New York, to Miami, Florida.
- The Morganza Spillway on the Mississippi River is opened for the first time to prevent catastrophic flooding of New Orleans.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 1973 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Roberta Flack - Killing Me Softly With His Song
- Dawn - Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Ole Oak Tree
- Vicki Lawrence - The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia
- Gladys Knight and the Pips - Neither One Of Us (Wants To Be The First To Say Goodbye)
- War - The Cisco Kid
- Carpenters - Sing
- Four Tops - Ain't No Woman (Like The One I've Got)
- The Stylistics - Break Up To Make Up
- Anne Murray - Danny's Song
- Al Green - Call Me (Come Back Home)
Top #5 songs in the UK
- Dawn featuring Tony Orlando - Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Old Oak Tree
- Gilbert O'Sullivan - Get Down
- Gary Glitter - Hello Hello I'm Back Again
- I'm A Clown / Some Kind Of Summer - David Cassidy
- Little Jimmy Osmond - Tweedle Dee
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 15 April 1973 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?