Thursday 15 August 1912
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was William Howard Taft (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Wijnanda M C "Nan" Aberson and Dame Wendy Hiller.
The Blind Man's Sacrifice, directed by Giuseppe de Liguoro, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1912
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 August 1912!
Which were the important events of 15 August 1912 ?
- Hawaii ? Toro Nagashi (Floating Lantern Ceremony) to commemorate the end of the second world war
- Poland ? Polish Armed Forces Day
- Eastern Orthodoxy ? Feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos, the commemoration of the death of Mary, the mother of Jesus.
- RC Saints ? Feast day of the Assumption of Mary, the mother of Jesus, Holy Day of Obligation. Public Holiday in: Austria, Belgium, Cameroon, Chile, C(te d'Ivoire, Croatia, Cyprus, East Timor, France, Greece, India, Italy, Lebanon, Lithuania, Malta, Mauritius, Poland, Portugal, Seychelles, Slovenia and Spain.
- Acadie ? National Day
- Egypt ? Flooding of the Nile Day
- India ? Independence Day (from the United Kingdom, 1947)
- Korea ? Liberation Day
- Italy ? "Ferragosto", remembrance of an ancient Roman holiday in honor of Augustus (Feriae Augusti)
- Liechtenstein ? Liechtenstein Day
- Tuva ? Tuva Republic Day, Naadym
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 3 saints: St. Alipius
- St. Arnoul/Arnulphus
- St. MacCartin/Ard/Aed
- The Assumption of Mary - a holy day of obligation
- Ancient Latvia ? M?ras
- Wijnanda M C "Nan" Aberson: Friend of Gerard Reve Sr.
- Dame Wendy Hiller: English actress (d. 2003).
- Julia Child: American chef and writer of over nine cookbooks, appearing in more than three hundred television shows.
- Monty Finniston: Scottish metallurgist, educational administrator and businessman, he became Chairman of British Steel in 1973, the year he was knighted.
- Guido Morselli: Italian novelist and essayist.
- Wendy Hiller: England, United Kingdom -- Actress (Major Barbara, David Copperfield)
- Amir Khan: Indian singer (d. 1974)
- Yankee Guy Zinn sets record by stealing home twice in a game
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1912 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- A Stein Song - Reed Miller
- Under the Love Tree - Heidelberg Quintet
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
What news were making the headlines those days in August 1912?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?