Tuesday 15 August 1944
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
The Falcon in Mexico, directed by William Berke, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1944.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 August 1944!
Which were the important events of 15 August 1944 ?
- Hawaii ? Toro Nagashi (Floating Lantern Ceremony) to commemorate the end of the second world war
- Poland ? Polish Armed Forces Day
- Eastern Orthodoxy ? Feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos, the commemoration of the death of Mary, the mother of Jesus.
- RC Saints ? Feast day of the Assumption of Mary, the mother of Jesus, Holy Day of Obligation. Public Holiday in: Austria, Belgium, Cameroon, Chile, C(te d'Ivoire, Croatia, Cyprus, East Timor, France, Greece, India, Italy, Lebanon, Lithuania, Malta, Mauritius, Poland, Portugal, Seychelles, Slovenia and Spain.
- Acadie ? National Day
- Egypt ? Flooding of the Nile Day
- India ? Independence Day (from the United Kingdom, 1947)
- Korea ? Liberation Day
- Italy ? "Ferragosto", remembrance of an ancient Roman holiday in honor of Augustus (Feriae Augusti)
- Liechtenstein ? Liechtenstein Day
- Tuva ? Tuva Republic Day, Naadym
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 3 saints: St. Alipius
- St. Arnoul/Arnulphus
- St. MacCartin/Ard/Aed
- The Assumption of Mary - a holy day of obligation
- Ancient Latvia ? M?ras
- Tom Murphy: American politician.
- Linda Ellerbee: American journalist and author.
- Thomas Murphy: Jr.
- R Rhodes: English political scientist and academic.
- Dimitris Sioufas: Greek lawyer and politician Greek Minister of Health.
- Linda Ellerbee in Bryan: Texas, USA; newscaster (NBC News Overnight).
- Michel Vauzelle: French politician, Minister of Justice in 1992-1993.
- Sylvie Vartan: French singer, born to an Armenian-Bulgarian father (originally Vartanian) and to a Hungarian mother. She was very young when she moved to France. She began to sing in the early sixties, Carlos (Dolto's son) was her secretary. She married Johnny Hallyday (remarried American producer Tony Scotti). She became very popular in Japan.
- Gianfranco Ferre: Italian fashion designer and style setter. After receiving a degree in architecture, he began designing clothes and accessories,1972, collaborating with ready-to-wear firms. His first women’s collection was released in 1982 and his men’s collection in 1983, at the same time he began to teach a course in dress design at the Domus Academy in Milan. From 1984, his line of perfumes, shoes, ties, scarves, leather goods and other accessories began with his first haute couture collection appearing in 1
- Barbara Bouchet: German actress and entrepreneur who lives and works in Italy.
- Allied air raid on train in North Netherlands, 32 killed
- German field marshal von Kluge vanishes for one day
- Operation Anvil: Allies land on French Mediterranean sea coast
- US 7th Armour division reaches Chartres
- World War II: Operation Dragoon : Allied forces land in southern France.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1944 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?