Wednesday 15 August 1945
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry, directed by Robert Siodmak, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1945
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1945.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 August 1945!
Which were the important events of 15 August 1945 ?
- Hawaii ? Toro Nagashi (Floating Lantern Ceremony) to commemorate the end of the second world war
- Poland ? Polish Armed Forces Day
- Eastern Orthodoxy ? Feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos, the commemoration of the death of Mary, the mother of Jesus.
- RC Saints ? Feast day of the Assumption of Mary, the mother of Jesus, Holy Day of Obligation. Public Holiday in: Austria, Belgium, Cameroon, Chile, C(te d'Ivoire, Croatia, Cyprus, East Timor, France, Greece, India, Italy, Lebanon, Lithuania, Malta, Mauritius, Poland, Portugal, Seychelles, Slovenia and Spain.
- Acadie ? National Day
- Egypt ? Flooding of the Nile Day
- India ? Independence Day (from the United Kingdom, 1947)
- Korea ? Liberation Day
- Italy ? "Ferragosto", remembrance of an ancient Roman holiday in honor of Augustus (Feriae Augusti)
- Liechtenstein ? Liechtenstein Day
- Tuva ? Tuva Republic Day, Naadym
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 3 saints: St. Alipius
- St. Arnoul/Arnulphus
- St. MacCartin/Ard/Aed
- The Assumption of Mary - a holy day of obligation
- Ancient Latvia ? M?ras
- Claude Grospiron: French lapidarist, specializing in diamonds.
- Charlemagne Palestine: Composer.
- Thomas C Sawyer: (Rep-D-Ohio).
- Gene Upshaw: American football player and union leader (Born 1945).
- Khaleda Zia: Bangladeshi politician 9th Prime Minister of Bangladesh.
- Alain Juppé: French politician, Prime Minister of France 1995-1997.
- Duffy Dyer: American baseball player, a right-handed catcher with the New York Mets, Pittsburgh Pirates, Montreal Expos, and Detroit Tigers between 1968 and 1981.
- Korechika Anami: Japanese general and politician 54th Japanese Minister of War (d. 1945).
- A riot ensued in SF while the city was celebrating the end of WWII
- Chandler sells World Series radio rights for $150,000 to Gillette, Ford had been World Series sponsor since 1934, pay $100,000 annually
- US wartime rationing of gasoline and fuel oil ends.
- South Korea is liberated from Japanese rule.
- World War II: Victory over Japan Day : Japan surrenders.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1945 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Good, Good, Good (That's You-That's You) - Sammy Kaye & His Orchestra
- On the Atchison, Topeka, and the Santa Fe - Tommy Dorsey & His Orchestra
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?