Monday 15 August 1949
It was Monday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
I Was a Male War Bride, directed by Howard Hawks, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1949
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 August 1949!
Which were the important events of 15 August 1949 ?
- Hawaii ? Toro Nagashi (Floating Lantern Ceremony) to commemorate the end of the second world war
- Poland ? Polish Armed Forces Day
- Eastern Orthodoxy ? Feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos, the commemoration of the death of Mary, the mother of Jesus.
- RC Saints ? Feast day of the Assumption of Mary, the mother of Jesus, Holy Day of Obligation. Public Holiday in: Austria, Belgium, Cameroon, Chile, C(te d'Ivoire, Croatia, Cyprus, East Timor, France, Greece, India, Italy, Lebanon, Lithuania, Malta, Mauritius, Poland, Portugal, Seychelles, Slovenia and Spain.
- Acadie ? National Day
- Egypt ? Flooding of the Nile Day
- India ? Independence Day (from the United Kingdom, 1947)
- Korea ? Liberation Day
- Italy ? "Ferragosto", remembrance of an ancient Roman holiday in honor of Augustus (Feriae Augusti)
- Liechtenstein ? Liechtenstein Day
- Tuva ? Tuva Republic Day, Naadym
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 3 saints: St. Alipius
- St. Arnoul/Arnulphus
- St. MacCartin/Ard/Aed
- The Assumption of Mary - a holy day of obligation
- Ancient Latvia ? M?ras
- Ann Ryerson in Wisconsin: USA; actress (Private Carol Winter - Private Benjamin).
- Carlien Brouwer: Translator / missing since Jan 6, 1994.
- Kate Taylor: Rocker.
- Beverly Lynn Burns: American pilot.
- Mark B Rosenberg: American educator.
- Beverly Burns: American captain and pilot
- Richard Deacon: Welsh sculptor and academic
- Garry Disher: Australian author
- Edward McMillan-Scott: English lawyer and politician
- Marie Parny: French homicide victim, the wife of Joseph Parnay. Plagued by major financial problems, Parny sprayed gasoline all over his house, sprinkled himself with the product and set the house on fire, 12/09/1994, around 2:00 AM MET, Aubevoye, France. Marie was killed and two of their sons, Jeannick,13 and Charles, 12. Their son Guibert, 7, survived.
- Mark Rosenberg: American political scientist and academic
- Pierre Commoy: French artist and photographer, part of the gay artist duo Pierre et Gilles, with his partner Gilles Blanchard.
- WOTV TV channel 8 in Grand Rapids, MI (NBC) begins broadcasting
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 15 August 1949 and get them!