Tuesday 15 August 1950
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
No Way Out, directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1950
while The Cardinal by Henry Morton Robinson was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1950.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 August 1950!
Which were the important events of 15 August 1950 ?
- Hawaii ? Toro Nagashi (Floating Lantern Ceremony) to commemorate the end of the second world war
- Poland ? Polish Armed Forces Day
- Eastern Orthodoxy ? Feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos, the commemoration of the death of Mary, the mother of Jesus.
- RC Saints ? Feast day of the Assumption of Mary, the mother of Jesus, Holy Day of Obligation. Public Holiday in: Austria, Belgium, Cameroon, Chile, C(te d'Ivoire, Croatia, Cyprus, East Timor, France, Greece, India, Italy, Lebanon, Lithuania, Malta, Mauritius, Poland, Portugal, Seychelles, Slovenia and Spain.
- Acadie ? National Day
- Egypt ? Flooding of the Nile Day
- India ? Independence Day (from the United Kingdom, 1947)
- Korea ? Liberation Day
- Italy ? "Ferragosto", remembrance of an ancient Roman holiday in honor of Augustus (Feriae Augusti)
- Liechtenstein ? Liechtenstein Day
- Tuva ? Tuva Republic Day, Naadym
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 3 saints: St. Alipius
- St. Arnoul/Arnulphus
- St. MacCartin/Ard/Aed
- The Assumption of Mary - a holy day of obligation
- Ancient Latvia ? M?ras
- Anne Elizabeth Alice Louise Windsor: England, United Kingdom -- Princess / olympic equestrian.
- Thomas Aldrich: Country drummer (Black Oak Arkansas).
- William "Bill" Griffin: US singer (Miracles-Love Machine).
- Tommy Aldridge: American drummer (Motörhead Whitesnake Black Oak Arkansas and Thin Lizzy).
- Royal Anne: Royalty.
- Sam Cunningham: American athlete, a pro football player, he was drafted by the New England Patriots in 1973. He played with the team for nine seasons, retiring from the game in 1982.
- Anne : British royalty; the daughter of Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip. As a youngster, she was known as imperious, high-spirited and willful, also sweet, lazy, and a tomboy. She had her dad's temperament and was his obvious favorite. With confidence, she learned everything she tried, especially sports, with ease. Her passion is horseback riding and her skills were strong enough to get her named to Great Britain's 1976 Olympic equestrian team in Montreal. At 13, when she was sent to Benenden, a b
- Tom Kelly: American baseball player, the one-time manager of the Minnesota Twins.
- Ezzard Charles TKOs Freddie Beshore in 14 for heavyweight boxing title
- Indians make their 1st triple play at Cleveland Stadium
- Indies Constitution goes into effect
- Joseph Pholien becomes Belgian Premier
- President Sukarno proclaims unity of Indonesia
- Rotterdam harbor strike begins
- 8.6 earthquake kills over 1,000 in Assam, India.
- Srikakulam district is formed in Andhra Pradesh, India.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1950 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Red Foley & Ernest Tubb - Goodnight, Irene
- Can Anyone Explain? (No, No, No!) - Ames Brothers
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?