Friday 15 August 1958
It was Friday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Poor Little Fool by Ricky Nelson.
In UK All I Have To Do Is Dream / Claudette by The Everly Brothers was in the top 5 hits.
The Fly, directed by Kurt Neumann, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1958
while Anatomy Of A Murder by Robert Traver was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 August 1958!
Which were the important events of 15 August 1958 ?
- Hawaii ? Toro Nagashi (Floating Lantern Ceremony) to commemorate the end of the second world war
- Poland ? Polish Armed Forces Day
- Eastern Orthodoxy ? Feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos, the commemoration of the death of Mary, the mother of Jesus.
- RC Saints ? Feast day of the Assumption of Mary, the mother of Jesus, Holy Day of Obligation. Public Holiday in: Austria, Belgium, Cameroon, Chile, C(te d'Ivoire, Croatia, Cyprus, East Timor, France, Greece, India, Italy, Lebanon, Lithuania, Malta, Mauritius, Poland, Portugal, Seychelles, Slovenia and Spain.
- Acadie ? National Day
- Egypt ? Flooding of the Nile Day
- India ? Independence Day (from the United Kingdom, 1947)
- Korea ? Liberation Day
- Italy ? "Ferragosto", remembrance of an ancient Roman holiday in honor of Augustus (Feriae Augusti)
- Liechtenstein ? Liechtenstein Day
- Tuva ? Tuva Republic Day, Naadym
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 3 saints: St. Alipius
- St. Arnoul/Arnulphus
- St. MacCartin/Ard/Aed
- The Assumption of Mary - a holy day of obligation
- Ancient Latvia ? M?ras
- Simon Baron-Cohen: English-Canadian psychiatrist and author.
- Laurie Bembenek: American convicted murderer and fugitive (Born 1958).
- Craig MacTavish: Canadian ice hockey player and coach.
- Simple Kapadia: Indian actress and costume designer (d. 2009).
- Victor Shenderovich: Russian journalist and radio host.
- Richard Greiner: American missing person. He had been ill with meningitis-encephalitis 10/1971. He went out to play on 1/17/1972 and was never seen again. There was no home conflict and no suspicion upon the grieving family.
- Rondell Sheridan: American actor and comedian
- Bambi Bembenek: American magazine model who interviewed for a job as a policewoman on 8/01/1979, completing school on 5/25/1980. She and two other female cops were fired on 8/25/1980 while still on probation, they appealed for reinstatement. They felt that they had been fired because of a wild party in which they had taken pictures of a couple nude cops having a high time.
- William L C "Big Bill" Broonzy: US blues singer / guitarist, dies at 65.
- 25th NFL Chicago All-Star Game: All-Stars 35, Detroit 19 (70,000)
- Buddy Holly weds Maria Santiago
- Marshal Boelganin resigns as Director of Staatsbank
- Soviet Marshal Bulganin resigns as Director of State Bank
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1958 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Domenico Modugno - Nel Blu Dipinto Di Blu (Volare)
- Ricky Nelson - Poor Little Fool
- Elvis Presley - Hard Headed Woman
- Perez Prado and His Orchestra - Patricia
- Jack Scott - My True Love
- Bobby Darin - Splish Splash
- Jimmy Clanton - Just A Dream
- Kalin Twins - When
- Duane Eddy - Rebel-'Rouser
- Johnny Otis Show - Willie And The Hand Jive
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 15 August 1958 and get them!