Saturday 15 August 1959
It was Saturday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of August people in US were listening to A Big Hunk O' Love by Elvis Presley.
In UK Living Doll by Cliff Richard & The Drifters was in the top 5 hits.
The Tingler, directed by William Castle, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while Lady Chatterly'S Lover by D.H. Lawrence was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 August 1959!
Which were the important events of 15 August 1959 ?
- Hawaii ? Toro Nagashi (Floating Lantern Ceremony) to commemorate the end of the second world war
- Poland ? Polish Armed Forces Day
- Eastern Orthodoxy ? Feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos, the commemoration of the death of Mary, the mother of Jesus.
- RC Saints ? Feast day of the Assumption of Mary, the mother of Jesus, Holy Day of Obligation. Public Holiday in: Austria, Belgium, Cameroon, Chile, C(te d'Ivoire, Croatia, Cyprus, East Timor, France, Greece, India, Italy, Lebanon, Lithuania, Malta, Mauritius, Poland, Portugal, Seychelles, Slovenia and Spain.
- Acadie ? National Day
- Egypt ? Flooding of the Nile Day
- India ? Independence Day (from the United Kingdom, 1947)
- Korea ? Liberation Day
- Italy ? "Ferragosto", remembrance of an ancient Roman holiday in honor of Augustus (Feriae Augusti)
- Liechtenstein ? Liechtenstein Day
- Tuva ? Tuva Republic Day, Naadym
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 3 saints: St. Alipius
- St. Arnoul/Arnulphus
- St. MacCartin/Ard/Aed
- The Assumption of Mary - a holy day of obligation
- Ancient Latvia ? M?ras
- Scott D Altman: Lincoln, Illinois -- Lieutenant Commander USN / Astronaut (sk: STS 90).
- Scott Altman: American captain pilot and astronaut.
- Blind Willie McTell: American singer (Born 1901).
- Cyprus gains independence.
- The Hebgen Lake Earthquake in southwest Montana kills 28.
- Columbia Records releases Miles Davis' groundbreaking album, ''Kind of Blue''.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Johnny Horton - The Battle Of New Orleans
- Paul Anka - Lonely Boy
- Elvis Presley - A Big Hunk O' Love
- The Drifters - There Goes My Baby
- Carl Dobkins Jr. - My Heart Is An Open Book
- Fabian - Tiger
- Sammy Turner - Lavender-Blue
- Stonewall Jackson - Waterloo
- Ray Charles - What'd I Say (Part I)
- Dinah Washington - What A Diff'rence A Day Makes
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 15 August 1959 and get them!