Monday 15 August 1960
It was Monday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of August people in US were listening to It's Now Or Never by Elvis Presley.
In UK Please Don't Tease by Cliff Richard was in the top 5 hits.
G.I. Blues, directed by Norman Taurog, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1960
while Advise And Consent by Allen Drury was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1960.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 August 1960!
Which were the important events of 15 August 1960 ?
- Hawaii ? Toro Nagashi (Floating Lantern Ceremony) to commemorate the end of the second world war
- Poland ? Polish Armed Forces Day
- Eastern Orthodoxy ? Feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos, the commemoration of the death of Mary, the mother of Jesus.
- RC Saints ? Feast day of the Assumption of Mary, the mother of Jesus, Holy Day of Obligation. Public Holiday in: Austria, Belgium, Cameroon, Chile, C(te d'Ivoire, Croatia, Cyprus, East Timor, France, Greece, India, Italy, Lebanon, Lithuania, Malta, Mauritius, Poland, Portugal, Seychelles, Slovenia and Spain.
- Acadie ? National Day
- Egypt ? Flooding of the Nile Day
- India ? Independence Day (from the United Kingdom, 1947)
- Korea ? Liberation Day
- Italy ? "Ferragosto", remembrance of an ancient Roman holiday in honor of Augustus (Feriae Augusti)
- Liechtenstein ? Liechtenstein Day
- Tuva ? Tuva Republic Day, Naadym
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 3 saints: St. Alipius
- St. Arnoul/Arnulphus
- St. MacCartin/Ard/Aed
- The Assumption of Mary - a holy day of obligation
- Ancient Latvia ? M?ras
- Ron van de Berg: Soccer player (Sparta).
- Maureen "Peanut" Louie Harper in San Francisco: California, USA; tennis player (Denver-1985).
- Tommy Aldridge: heavy metal rocker (Ozzy - "Diary of a Mad Man").
- Congo (formerly Congo / Brazzaville) declares Independence from France
- Mil Brave Lew Burdette no-hits Philadelphia Phillies, 1-0
- UFO is sighted by 3 California patrolmen
- Chicago Bears beat New York Giants 16-7 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada (NFL expo).
- Joseph Kittinger parachutes from a balloon over New Mexico at an aititude of about 102,800 feet (31,333 meters). Kittinger set unbeaten () world records for: high-altitude jump free-fall by falling 16.0 miles (25.7 kilometers) before opening his parachute and the fastest speed attained by a human being without mechanical or chemical assistance, about 982 k.p.h (614 m.p.h.). Kittinger survived more or less uninjured, and he is still alive in Florida as of 2012.
- The Mediterranean island of Cyprus receives its independence from the United Kingdom.
- The newly-named band, the Beatles begin a 48-night series of performances at the Indra Club in Hamburg, Germany.
- Gabon becomes independent from France.
- The trial of the American U - 2 pilot Francis Gary Powers begins in Moscow.
- Sputnik program: The Soviet Union launches the satellite Sputnik 5, with the dogs Belka and Strelka (the Russian for ampquotSquirrelampquot and ampquotLittle Arrowampquot), 40 mice, two rats and a variety of plants. This satellite returns to earth the next day and all animals are recovered safely.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1960 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Elvis Presley - It's Now Or Never
- Brian Hyland - Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polkadot Bikini
- Brenda Lee - I'm Sorry
- Roy Orbison - Only The Lonely (Know The Way I Feel)
- The Ventures - Walk -- Don't Run
- Fats Domino - Walking To New Orleans
- Hank Ballard and the Midnighters - Finger Poppin' Time
- Chubby Checker - The Twist
- Ray Peterson - Tell Laura I Love Her
- Safaris - Image Of A Girl
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?