Thursday 15 August 1963
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Fingertips - Pt 2 by Little Stevie Wonder.
In UK Sweets For My Sweet by The Searchers was in the top 5 hits.
A Ticklish Affair, directed by George Sidney, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1963
while City Of Night by John Rechy was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 August 1963!
Which were the important events of 15 August 1963 ?
- Hawaii ? Toro Nagashi (Floating Lantern Ceremony) to commemorate the end of the second world war
- Poland ? Polish Armed Forces Day
- Eastern Orthodoxy ? Feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos, the commemoration of the death of Mary, the mother of Jesus.
- RC Saints ? Feast day of the Assumption of Mary, the mother of Jesus, Holy Day of Obligation. Public Holiday in: Austria, Belgium, Cameroon, Chile, C(te d'Ivoire, Croatia, Cyprus, East Timor, France, Greece, India, Italy, Lebanon, Lithuania, Malta, Mauritius, Poland, Portugal, Seychelles, Slovenia and Spain.
- Acadie ? National Day
- Egypt ? Flooding of the Nile Day
- India ? Independence Day (from the United Kingdom, 1947)
- Korea ? Liberation Day
- Italy ? "Ferragosto", remembrance of an ancient Roman holiday in honor of Augustus (Feriae Augusti)
- Liechtenstein ? Liechtenstein Day
- Tuva ? Tuva Republic Day, Naadym
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 3 saints: St. Alipius
- St. Arnoul/Arnulphus
- St. MacCartin/Ard/Aed
- The Assumption of Mary - a holy day of obligation
- Ancient Latvia ? M?ras
- Danny Verlinden: Belgian soccer football player, the goal keeper on Brugge team in the 1994 World Cup.
- Greg Adams: Nelson, NHL left wing (Dallas Stars).
- Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu: Mexican film director.
- Jean-Rene Dubosc: French jockey with 83 wins.
- Alejandro Iñárritu: Mexican director producer and screenwriter.
- Simon Hart: Welsh soldier and politician
- Kier: American singer-songwriter DJ and producer (Deee-Lite)
- Valery Levaneuski: entrepreneur, politician, former political prisoner
- Lisa Opie: English squash player and coach
- Jack Russell: England cricketer and coach
- Fabio Canino: Italian actor, writer, radio host and television personality.
- John Powell: American discus thrower.
- Fulbert Youlou, resigns as President of Congo-Brazzaville
- President Fulbert Youlou is overthrown in the Republic of Congo, after a three-day uprising in the capital.
- Execution of Henry John Burnett, the last man to be hanged in Scotland.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1963 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Angels - My Boyfriend's Back
- Little Stevie Wonder - Fingertips - Pt 2
- The Tymes - So Much In Love
- Allan Sherman - Hello Mudduh, Hello Fadduh! (A Letter From Camp)
- Peter, Paul & Mary - Blowin' In The Wind
- The Surfaris - Wipe Out
- Elvis Presley - (You're The) Devil In Disguise
- The Four Seasons - Candy Girl
- Lesley Gore - Judy's Turn To Cry
- Kai Winding & Orchestra - More
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 15 August 1963 and get them!