Friday 15 August 1969
It was Friday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Eric Bieniemy and James Black.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to In The Year 2525 (Exordium & Terminus) by Zager & Evans.
In UK Honky Tonk Women by The Rolling Stones was in the top 5 hits.
Alice's Restaurant, directed by Arthur Penn, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1969
while The Love Machine by Jacqueline Susann was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Der gemütliche Samstagabend.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 August 1969!
Which were the important events of 15 August 1969 ?
- Hawaii ? Toro Nagashi (Floating Lantern Ceremony) to commemorate the end of the second world war
- Poland ? Polish Armed Forces Day
- Eastern Orthodoxy ? Feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos, the commemoration of the death of Mary, the mother of Jesus.
- RC Saints ? Feast day of the Assumption of Mary, the mother of Jesus, Holy Day of Obligation. Public Holiday in: Austria, Belgium, Cameroon, Chile, C(te d'Ivoire, Croatia, Cyprus, East Timor, France, Greece, India, Italy, Lebanon, Lithuania, Malta, Mauritius, Poland, Portugal, Seychelles, Slovenia and Spain.
- Acadie ? National Day
- Egypt ? Flooding of the Nile Day
- India ? Independence Day (from the United Kingdom, 1947)
- Korea ? Liberation Day
- Italy ? "Ferragosto", remembrance of an ancient Roman holiday in honor of Augustus (Feriae Augusti)
- Liechtenstein ? Liechtenstein Day
- Tuva ? Tuva Republic Day, Naadym
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 3 saints: St. Alipius
- St. Arnoul/Arnulphus
- St. MacCartin/Ard/Aed
- The Assumption of Mary - a holy day of obligation
- Ancient Latvia ? M?ras
- Eric Bieniemy: NFL running back (Cin Bengals).
- James Black: Regina, Saskatchewan -- NHL center (Chicago Blackhawks).
- Mark Heese: Toronto, Ontario -- Beach volleyballer (1996 Olympics - Bronze Medalist).
- Pavel Kamentsev: Hockey forward (Team Kazakhstan Olympics - 1998).
- Yancey Thigpen: NFL wide receiver (Pittsburgh Steelers).
- Alexander Schönburg: German journalist and writer.
- Kevin Cheng: American-Hong Kong singer and actor
- Christian Mixon: American actor and race car driver
- Bernard Fanning: Australian singer-songwriter (Powderfinger)
- Cris Judd: American dancer and choreographer
- Stijn Streuvels [F Lateur]: Flemish writer (Vlaschard), dies at 97.
- Woodstock Music and Art Fair opens in New York State (Max Yasgur's Dairy Farm).
- The Woodstock Music and Art Festival opens.
- August 18 ampndash The Woodstock Festival is held in upstate New York, featuring some of the top rock musicians of the era.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1969 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Zager & Evans - In The Year 2525 (Exordium & Terminus)
- The Rolling Stones - Honky Tonk Women
- Tommy James and the Shondells - Crystal Blue Persuasion
- Neil Diamond - Sweet Caroline (Good Times Never Seemed So Good)
- Johnny Cash - A Boy Named Sue
- Jackie DeShannon - Put A Little Love In Your Heart
- Kenny Rogers - Ruby, Don't Take Your Love To Town
- Stevie Wonder - My Cherie Amour
- Jr. Walker & the All Stars - What Does It Take (To Win Your Love)
- Andy Kim - Baby, I Love You
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?