Sunday 15 August 1971
It was Sunday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Priscilla Taylor and Christophe Robin.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to How Can You Mend A Broken Heart by Bee Gees.
In UK I'm Still Waiting by Diana Ross was in the top 5 hits.
Deep End, directed by Jerzy Skolimowski, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1971
while The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Hei-Wi-Tip-Top.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Galaxy Game or Star Trek.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 August 1971!
Which were the important events of 15 August 1971 ?
- Hawaii ? Toro Nagashi (Floating Lantern Ceremony) to commemorate the end of the second world war
- Poland ? Polish Armed Forces Day
- Eastern Orthodoxy ? Feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos, the commemoration of the death of Mary, the mother of Jesus.
- RC Saints ? Feast day of the Assumption of Mary, the mother of Jesus, Holy Day of Obligation. Public Holiday in: Austria, Belgium, Cameroon, Chile, C(te d'Ivoire, Croatia, Cyprus, East Timor, France, Greece, India, Italy, Lebanon, Lithuania, Malta, Mauritius, Poland, Portugal, Seychelles, Slovenia and Spain.
- Acadie ? National Day
- Egypt ? Flooding of the Nile Day
- India ? Independence Day (from the United Kingdom, 1947)
- Korea ? Liberation Day
- Italy ? "Ferragosto", remembrance of an ancient Roman holiday in honor of Augustus (Feriae Augusti)
- Liechtenstein ? Liechtenstein Day
- Tuva ? Tuva Republic Day, Naadym
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 3 saints: St. Alipius
- St. Arnoul/Arnulphus
- St. MacCartin/Ard/Aed
- The Assumption of Mary - a holy day of obligation
- Ancient Latvia ? M?ras
- Priscilla Taylor: Miami, Florida -- Playmate (Mar, 1996).
- Christophe Robin: French hair colourist who opened his first salon in Paris aged 24.
- Paul Lukas: Actor (Kim, Berlin Express), dies of heart failure at 76.
- Bahrain gains independence from the United Kingdom.
- Charles Lismont wins Helsinki marathon (2:13:09.0)
- KVRL (now KRIV) TV ch 26 in Shreveport-Texarkana, LA (NBC) begins
- Sandra Haynie wins LPGA Len Immke Buick Golf Open
- US President Richard Nixon's administration refuses to settle foreign debts in gold at $35 per ounce, dropping the gold standard, and allowing the dollar to float in foreign exchanges. The president also imposes a ten percent duty increase on many imports, and a 90-day wage and price freeze.
- President Richard Nixon completes the break from the gold standard by ending convertibility of the United States dollar into gold by foreign investors.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1971 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bee Gees - How Can You Mend A Broken Heart
- Jean Knight - Mr. Big Stuff
- John Denver - Take Me Home, Country Roads
- Tommy James - Draggin' The Line
- James Taylor - You've Got A Friend
- The Raiders - Indian Reservation (The Lament Of The Cherokee Reservation Indian)
- Chicago - Beginnings
- What The World Needs Now Is Love/Abraham Martin And John (Medley) - Tom Clay
- Marvin Gaye - Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)
- Five Man Electrical Band - Signs
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?