Wednesday 15 August 1979
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Good Times by Chic.
In UK I Don't Like Mondays by The Boomtown Rats was in the top 5 hits.
Life of Brian, directed by Terry Jones, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1979
while Sophie'S Choice by William Styron was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 August 1979!
Which were the important events of 15 August 1979 ?
- Hawaii ? Toro Nagashi (Floating Lantern Ceremony) to commemorate the end of the second world war
- Poland ? Polish Armed Forces Day
- Eastern Orthodoxy ? Feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos, the commemoration of the death of Mary, the mother of Jesus.
- RC Saints ? Feast day of the Assumption of Mary, the mother of Jesus, Holy Day of Obligation. Public Holiday in: Austria, Belgium, Cameroon, Chile, C(te d'Ivoire, Croatia, Cyprus, East Timor, France, Greece, India, Italy, Lebanon, Lithuania, Malta, Mauritius, Poland, Portugal, Seychelles, Slovenia and Spain.
- Acadie ? National Day
- Egypt ? Flooding of the Nile Day
- India ? Independence Day (from the United Kingdom, 1947)
- Korea ? Liberation Day
- Italy ? "Ferragosto", remembrance of an ancient Roman holiday in honor of Augustus (Feriae Augusti)
- Liechtenstein ? Liechtenstein Day
- Tuva ? Tuva Republic Day, Naadym
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 3 saints: St. Alipius
- St. Arnoul/Arnulphus
- St. MacCartin/Ard/Aed
- The Assumption of Mary - a holy day of obligation
- Ancient Latvia ? M?ras
- Carl Edwards: American NASCAR driver.
- Peter Shukoff: YouTube Star.
- Jon Hopkins: English producer and musician.
- Andrew Young resigns as United Nations ambassador.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1979 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Knack - My Sharona
- Donna Summer - Bad Girls
- Anita Ward - Ring My Bell
- Chic - Good Times
- Earth, Wind and Fire - After The Love Has Gone
- Barbra Streisand - The Main Event & Fight
- Charlie Daniels Band - The Devil Went Down To Georgia
- Dr. Hook - When You're In Love With A Beautiful Woman
- Elton John - Mama Can't Buy You Love
- Raydio - You Can't Change That
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 15 August 1979 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?