Sunday 15 July 2012
It was Sunday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of July people in US were listening to Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen.
The Dark Knight Rises, directed by Christopher Nolan, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while Fifty Shades of Grey by E L James was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2012.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 July 2012!
Which were the important events of 15 July 2012 ?
- Saint Vladimir the Great's day (Eastern Orthodox; Roman Catholic)
- Confuflux (Discordianism)
- Saint Swithun's feast day (Anglican Church)
- Japan - Third day of Obon feast period
- Palermo, Sicily - Festival of Santa Rosalia
- Brunei - Birthday of the Sultan and Yang Di-Pertuan of Brunei Darussalam
- Botswana - President's Day
- Saint Donald's feast day
- Brazil - International Men's Day
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 15 July
- Syrian uprising (2011-present):
- The Red Cross (ICRC) says the conflict is now in effect a civil war, meaning combatants will now be officially subject to the Geneva Conventions. (BBC)
- Opposition fighters battle Syrian government forces in poor districts of Damascus. (Reuters)
- The President of Libya's Olympic committee, Ahmed Nabil al Taher al Alam, is abducted in Tripoli. (BBC)
- Organisers pull the plug on a duet between Bruce Springsteen and Paul McCartney at Hyde Park, London, after it breached its legal curfew. (''The Daily Telegraph'')
- Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates open new pipelines bypassing the Strait of Hormuz, the shipping lane that Iran has repeatedly threatened to close. (''The Financial Times'')
- A bus crash kills at least 39 pilgrims in the southern Nepali town of Parasi. (BBC)
- Hand, foot and mouth disease kills 149 people in Hunan, China. (''Bangkok Post'')
- One person is killed and ten are injured by a tornado in north west Poland ( BBC).
- Rwanda and the Democratic Republic of the Congo agree an international border force to patrol their mutual border. (BBC)
- Saudi Arabia decides to donate $100 million to the Palestinian Authority. (Reuters)
- Saudi Arabia criticises comments by Russia about the human rights situation in the country, calling them ampquothostileampquot. (Al Jazeera)
- The African Union choose Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma of South Africa as its leader, making her the first woman to occupy the post, in a hard fought battle with incumbent Jean Ping of Gabon. (BBC)
- Egyptian protesters throw tomatoes and shoes at US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's motorcade during her first visit to the country since the election of Islamist President Mohamed Mursi. (Reuters)
- Jason Kidd is arrested by Southampton Town police for alleged drunken driving. (''USA Today'')
- Hundreds of Israeli protesters gather in Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, Haifa and Beersheba to show their solidarity with the man who self immolated on 14 July 2012. (''The Jerusalem Post'')
- A Russian Soyuz rocket begins its mission to the International Space Station with three international crew members. (AP via ''The Washington Post'')
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 2012 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
What news were making the headlines those days in July 2012?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?