Wednesday 15 May 1957
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of May people in US were listening to All Shook Up by Elvis Presley.
In UK Butterfly by Andy Williams was in the top 5 hits.
Desk Set, directed by Walter Lang, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1957
while The Scapegoat by Daphne du Maurier was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1957.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 May 1957!
Which were the important events of 15 May 1957 ?
- Paraguay - Independence Day. Celebrations for the anniversary of the independence begin on Flag Day, 14 May.
- Nakba Day in Palestinian communities.
- Roman Empire - Mercuralia in honor of Mercury held.
- International day of climate changes.
- International conscientious objectors' day.
- Buddha's Birthday in Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau and South Korea (2005).
- United States - Peace Officers Memorial Day.
- International day of families.
- Teacher's Day in Mexico (Dfa del Maestro) and South Korea (??? ?).
- Saint Dymphna
- Saint Achillius
- Saint Gerebern
- Saint Isidore the Labourer
- Saint Jean-Baptiste de la Salle
- Saint Reticius
- Saint Denise
- Slovenia - Day of Slovenian armed forces.
- Jean : Luxembourgian prince, the second son of Jean, Grand Duke of Luxembourg and Princess Joséphine-Charlotte of Belgium.
- Clark Davis: Canadian champion wrestler for some years, representing Canada at the Los Angeles Olympics 1984.
- Meg Gardiner: American-English author and academic.
- Juan Ibarretxe: Spanish politician.
- Kevin Von Erich: American football player and wrestler.
- Margaretha : Luxembourgian and Liechtenstein princess, the fourth child and second daughter of Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg and Princess Joséphine Charlotte of Belgium. As the sister of Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg and the sister-in-law of Prince Hans-Adam II of Liechtenstein, she is a princess of two current realms and a member of the Luxembourg and Liechtenstein reigning dynasties. Princess Margaretha is the twin sister of Prince Jean of Luxembourg.
- Juan Jose Ibarretxe: Basque statesman
- 18,000 people at Madison Square Garden - Billy Graham launched a crusade
- 1st British H-bomb explosion (over Christmas Island)
- At Malden Island in the Pacific, Britain tests its first hydrogen bomb in Operation Grapple. The device fails to detonate properly.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1957 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Elvis Presley - All Shook Up
- The Diamonds - Little Darlin'
- Perry Como - Round And Round
- Ferlin Husky - Gone
- The Dell-Vikings - Come Go With Me
- Buddy Knox - Party Doll
- Jimmy Dorsey - So Rare
- Chuck Berry - School Day (Ring Ring Goes the Bell)
- Pat Boone - Why Baby Why
- Marty Robbins - A White Sport Coat (And A Pink Carnation)
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?