Friday 15 May 1959
It was Friday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Luis Perez-Sala and Andrew Eldritch.
In that special week of May people in US were listening to The Happy Organ by Dave Baby Cortez.
In UK A Fool Such As I / I Need Your Love Tonight by Elvis Presley was in the top 5 hits.
Imitation of Life, directed by Douglas Sirk, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while The Ugly American by William J. Lederer and Eugene Burdick was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Markham.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 May 1959!
Which were the important events of 15 May 1959 ?
- Paraguay - Independence Day. Celebrations for the anniversary of the independence begin on Flag Day, 14 May.
- Nakba Day in Palestinian communities.
- Roman Empire - Mercuralia in honor of Mercury held.
- International day of climate changes.
- International conscientious objectors' day.
- Buddha's Birthday in Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau and South Korea (2005).
- United States - Peace Officers Memorial Day.
- International day of families.
- Teacher's Day in Mexico (Dfa del Maestro) and South Korea (??? ?).
- Saint Dymphna
- Saint Achillius
- Saint Gerebern
- Saint Isidore the Labourer
- Saint Jean-Baptiste de la Salle
- Saint Reticius
- Saint Denise
- Slovenia - Day of Slovenian armed forces.
- Luis Perez-Sala: Spanish racing driver.
- Andrew Eldritch: English singer-songwriter (The Sisters of Mercy The Sisterhood and SSV).
- Kaokor Galaxy: Thai boxer.
- Khaosai Galaxy: Thai boxer and politician.
- Luis Pérez-Sala: Spanish race car driver.
- Beverly Scott: American-Belgian singer-songwriter
- Berend van den Amstel [Bernard CED Hattink]: Dutch actor, dies at age 56.
- 100th anniversary of first college baseball game, between Amherst and Williams; Teams re-enact the original contest.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Dave Baby Cortez - The Happy Organ
- The Impalas - Sorry (I Ran All The Way Home)
- The Fleetwoods - Come Softly To Me
- Edward Byrnes - Kookie, Kookie (Lend Me Your Comb)
- Elvis Presley - (Now And Then There's) A Fool Such As I
- Wilbert Harrison - Kansas City
- The Virtues - Guitar Boogie Shuffle
- Dodie Stevens - Pink Shoe Laces
- Fabian - Turn Me Loose
- Elvis Presley - I Need Your Love Tonight
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?