Thursday 15 May 2008
It was Thursday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican).
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Bleeding Love by Leona Lewis.
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, directed by Steven Spielberg, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2008
while A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Great Performances.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Corpse Craft: Incident at Weardd Academy or Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2008.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 May 2008!
Which were the important events of 15 May 2008 ?
- Paraguay - Independence Day. Celebrations for the anniversary of the independence begin on Flag Day, 14 May.
- Nakba Day in Palestinian communities.
- Roman Empire - Mercuralia in honor of Mercury held.
- International day of climate changes.
- International conscientious objectors' day.
- Buddha's Birthday in Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau and South Korea (2005).
- United States - Peace Officers Memorial Day.
- International day of families.
- Teacher's Day in Mexico (Dfa del Maestro) and South Korea (??? ?).
- Saint Dymphna
- Saint Achillius
- Saint Gerebern
- Saint Isidore the Labourer
- Saint Jean-Baptiste de la Salle
- Saint Reticius
- Saint Denise
- Slovenia - Day of Slovenian armed forces.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 15 May
- California becomes the second U.S. state after Massachusetts in 2004 to legalize same-sex marriage after the state's own Supreme Court rules a previous ban unconstitutional.
- The Simpsons Ride officially opens at Universal Studios Orlando, in Florida, USA.
- CBS announces it will buy web media company CNET Networks for about US$1.8 billion.
- The US Mint releases the John Quincy Adams Presidential dollar coin to circulation.
- The Union of South American Nations, a supranational union, is created by a union between the Andean Community and Mercosur.
- The International Court of Justice awards Middle Rocks to Malaysia and Pedra Branca to Singapore, ending a 29-year territorial dispute between the 2 countries.
- 2008 Andean diplomatic crisis: Interpol confirms that Colombia did not tamper with computer files in hardware seized from Raul Reyes. This alleged that Venezuela and Ecuador provided funding, assistance and drug routes to the terrorist group Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia. However, Interpol stated that they had not looked at the content of the files, only their authenticity. (CNN)
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- General Electric has stated that it wants to auction off its domestic appliances business. GE has been involved in that field of business since 1907. (Bloomberg.com)
- The California Supreme Court rules that a ban on same-sex marriage is unconstitutional under the California state constitution. (AP via Yahoo! News)
- Economy of the United States
- The number of United States workers filing jobless claims for initial unemployment benefits rises by 6,000 while the number on benefit rolls after a first week of aid hit a four-year high. (Reuters)
- The Federal Reserve System reports that the industrial output of the nations factories, mines and utilities fell by 0.7% in April in a broad-based decline led by motor vehicles. (MarketWatch)
- 2008 Sichuan earthquake:
- The death toll from the earthquake reaches nearly 20,000. (BBC News)
- The Government of China predicts that the death toll could reach 50,000. (''The Telegraph'')
- Myanmar's military junta, the State Peace and Development Council, claims that the Burmese constitutional referendum, 2008 approved their new constitution of Myanmar with a 92.4% majority. (AFP)
- The State Peace and Development Council warns that legal action will be taken against those people that hoard or trade international foreign aid as the death toll from Cyclone Nargis rises to 43,000. (AP via Google News)
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 2008 ?
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?