Friday 15 September 1944
It was Friday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Thunder Rock, directed by Roy Boulting, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 September 1944!
Which were the important events of 15 September 1944 ?
- Bulgaria - The first day of school.
- Japan - Respect for the Aged Day before 2003; beginning in 2003, Respect for the Aged Day is held on the third Monday of September.
- The United Kingdom - the British commemorate the Battle of Britain on the day of the last massive Luftwaffe attack in 1940.
- Also see September 15 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics).
- RC Saints - Feast day of Our Lady of Sorrows.
- Independence Day from Spain (1821) for Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua, celebrated everywhere with marches from schoolchildren.
- In ancient Greece, the second day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the priests of Demeter declared the public start of the rites.
- In Slovakia - Holyday of the Seven sorrows of Virgin Maria
- Mauro Piacenza: Italian cardinal.
- Graham Taylor: English footballer and manager.
- Ronald Cowen: American playwright.
- Sotirios Hatzigakis: Greek politician.
- British bombers hit Tirpitz with Tallboy bombs
- Russian troops free Sofia Bulgaria
- US 1st Infantry division pushes through to Westwall
- US 28th Infantry division occupies Hill 555 at Roscheid
- US troops lands on Palau and Morotai
- Franklin D. Roosevelt and Winston Churchill meet in Quebec as part of the Octagon Conference to discuss strategy.
- Battle of Peleliu begins as the United States Marine Corps' 1st Marine Division and the United States Army's 81st Infantry Division hit White and Orange beaches under heavy fire from Japanese infantry and artillery.
- WWII: The Battle of Peleliu begins.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1944 ?
Top #4 songs in the USA
- Is You Is Or Is You Ain't (Ma' Baby) - Bing Crosby & Andrews Sisters
- The Patty Cake Man - Ella Mae Morse
- It Had to Be You - Artie Shaw & His Orchestra
- Hildegarde - Lili Marlene
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 15 September 1944 and get them!