Sunday 15 September 1968
It was Sunday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic). In that special week of September people in US were listening to People Got To Be Free by The Rascals.
In UK Hey Jude by The Beatles was in the top 5 hits.
Funny Girl, directed by William Wyler, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1968
while Testimony Of Two Men by Taylor Caldwell was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1968.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 September 1968!
Which were the important events of 15 September 1968 ?
- Bulgaria - The first day of school.
- Japan - Respect for the Aged Day before 2003; beginning in 2003, Respect for the Aged Day is held on the third Monday of September.
- The United Kingdom - the British commemorate the Battle of Britain on the day of the last massive Luftwaffe attack in 1940.
- Also see September 15 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics).
- RC Saints - Feast day of Our Lady of Sorrows.
- Independence Day from Spain (1821) for Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua, celebrated everywhere with marches from schoolchildren.
- In ancient Greece, the second day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the priests of Demeter declared the public start of the rites.
- In Slovakia - Holyday of the Seven sorrows of Virgin Maria
- Michael Puschacher: Hockey goalie (Team Austria 1998).
- Rich Robertson: Nacogdoches, Texas -- Pitcher (Minn Twins).
- Dirk Medved: Belgian soccer/football player, he played Defender with Waterschei (1985–1988), Genk (1988–1989), Gent (1989–1993), Club Brugge (1993–1997), and Standard Liège (1997–1999).
- Trish Todd: American editor, who joined Simon & Schuster in February 2011 as Vice President, Executive Editor acquiring popular and literary fiction, memoir, biography, lifestyle, psychology, and humour.
- Danny Nucci: Actor (Gabriel Ortega-Falcon Crest).
- Vicky Entwistle: English actress
- Barbra Streisand: A Happening in Central Park Show on CBS TV
- Carol Mann wins LPGA Shirley Englehorn Golf Invitational
- Launch of Zond 5, 1st lunar fly-around with Earth reentry
- New York Zendo (Shoboji) was opened by S Nakagawa and D S Harada
- Probable Test flight for a manned fly-around (scooped by Apollo 8)
- WUAB TV channel 43 in Lorain-Cleveland, OH (IND) begins broadcasting
- WXON TV channel 20 in Detroit, MI (IND) begins broadcasting
- The Soviet Zond 5 spaceship is launched, becoming the first spacecraft to fly around the Moon and re-enter the Earth's atmosphere.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1968 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Rascals - People Got To Be Free
- Jeannie C. Riley - Harper Valley P.T.A.
- Jose Feliciano - Light My Fire
- Steppenwolf - Born To Be Wild
- The 1910 Fruitgum Company - 1,2,3 Red Light
- Aretha Franklin - The House That Jack Built
- Marvin Gaye - You're All I Need To Get By
- Deep Purple - Hush
- The Doors - Hello, I Love You
- The Beatles - Hey Jude
Get back in touch
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?