Saturday 15 September 2012
It was Saturday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of September people in US were listening to Whistle by Flo Rida.
Lawless, directed by John Hillcoat, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while Fifty Shades of Grey by E L James was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2012.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 September 2012!
Which were the important events of 15 September 2012 ?
- Bulgaria - The first day of school.
- Japan - Respect for the Aged Day before 2003; beginning in 2003, Respect for the Aged Day is held on the third Monday of September.
- The United Kingdom - the British commemorate the Battle of Britain on the day of the last massive Luftwaffe attack in 1940.
- Also see September 15 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics).
- RC Saints - Feast day of Our Lady of Sorrows.
- Independence Day from Spain (1821) for Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua, celebrated everywhere with marches from schoolchildren.
- In ancient Greece, the second day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the priests of Demeter declared the public start of the rites.
- In Slovakia - Holyday of the Seven sorrows of Virgin Maria
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 15 September
- War in Afghanistan:
- An Afghan policeman kills two British soldiers in Girishk, Helmand. (''Washington Post'')
- Mexican Drug War:
- Eduardo Castro Luque, the deputy-elect of Ciudad Obregon, Sonora, is assassinated by gunmen two days before joining office. (The Huffington Post)
- 2012 Sydney Islamic riots: Muslim protesters shouting anti-American slogans clash with police outside the US embassy in Sydney, Australia. (AdelaideNow)
- Syrian civil war:
- One of Assad's relatives, who was a Syrian Air Force officer, defects from the Syrian government. (Ynet News)
- The ''Irish Daily Star'' becomes the second tabloid newspaper to publish topless photographs of Kate Middleton, prompting media boss Richard Desmond to close down the joint venture between Independent News and Media and his Northern and Shell group that published the paper. (''RTÉ News'')
- Mass protest grows against Kudankulam nuclear power project in Tamil Nadu, India. (Wikinews)
- In the wake of the Fukushima nuclear disaster, Japan declares that it will phase out dependence on nuclear energy by the 2030s. (Kyodo News via ''Mainichi Shimbun'')
- Senkaku Islands dispute:
- Anti-Japanese protests spread in China over the disputed Senkaku Islands. (Al Jazeera)
- Gambia's President Yahya Jammeh orders an immediate halt to executions on death row. (BBC)
- The alleged filmmaker of the film at the heart of the controversy agrees to a ampquotvoluntary interviewampquot with federal probation authorities. (Associated Press)
- Chinese Vice President and Paramount Leader-designate Xi Jinping is shown on television for the first time in weeks, debunking rumours of serious illness. (AFP via Google News)
- Tens of thousands protest against Putin in Moscow. (Businessweek)
- In horseracing, Encke stops Camelot's Triple Crown mission in the St. Leger Stakes with a long-odds win. (BBC)
- Irish Rugby Union player Nevin Spence is killed along with his father and brother after they fell into a slurry tank at the family farm in Hillsborough, County Down. (BBC)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 2012 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
What news were making the headlines those days in September 2012?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?