Saturday 16 August 1913
It was Saturday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Menachem Begin .
The Last Days of Pompeii, directed by Mario Caserini, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1913
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1913!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1913 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Menachem Begin: Belarusian-Israeli politician 6th Prime Minister of Israel Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1992).
- Tohoku Imperial University of Japan (modern day Tohoku University) admits its first female students.
- Completion of the Royal Navy battlecruiser HMS Queen Mary.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1913 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Last Night Was the End of the World - Henry Burr
- Sunshine and Roses - Elsie Baker & James F. Harrison
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?