Sunday 16 August 1914
It was Sunday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
The Call of the North, directed by Oscar Apfel, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1914
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1914.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1914!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1914 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Beatrice De Regniers: American writer of children's picture books.
- Juanita Coleman: American pro astrologer and writer in San Francisco, CA; who began her studies in 1934.
- Tullio Pandolfini: Italy -- Water polo (1948 Olympics - Gold Medalist).
- German army occupies last fort at Luik, Belgian general Leman caught
- Zapata and Pancho Villa over run Mexico
- World War I: Battle of Cer begins.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1914 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Off with the Old Love, On with the New - Henry Burr & Albert Campbell
- When It's Night Time Down in Burghandy - George MacFarlane
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?