Wednesday 16 August 1916
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Rolling Stones, directed by Del Henderson, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1916
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1916.
Have a look at the old newspapers from 16 August 1916 and get them!
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Intolerance: Love's Struggle Throughout the Ages
The Girl Who Wrecked His Home
Which were the important events of 16 August 1916 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
See other famous people born on 16 August
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1916 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
They Made it Twice as Nice as Paradise (And They Called it Dixieland) - Geoffrey O'Hara
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
What news were making the headlines those days in August 1916?
- Science: Science vol. 44 issue 1128
- Science: Science vol. 44 issue 1127
- Science: Science vol. 44 issue 1126
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Alongside William Faulkner and John Updike, Booth Tarkington is one of just three authors to win the Pulitzer Prize more than once. Tarkington accomplished the feat with Alice Adams and The Magnificent Ambersons, dramas that explored the lives of fictional ...
This story, as I have put it down here, begins at Prescott, Arizona, in one of those far-western years that saw the passing of the Indian and the coming of the automobile.
This collection chronicles the fiction and non fiction classics by the greatest writers the world has ever known. The inclusion of both popular as well as overlooked pieces is pivotal to providing a broad and representative collection of classic works.
It was the sixth day of Mr. Direck's first visit to England, and he was at his acutest perception of differences. He found England in every way gratifying and satisfactory, and more of a contrast with things American than he ...
Tell the world why 16 August 1916 is such a special date for you!