Thursday 16 August 1928
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
The Patriot, directed by Ernst Lubitsch, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1928
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1928.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1928!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1928 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Ara Güler: Turkish photographer and journalist.
- Eddie Kirkland: American singer-songwriter and guitarist (d. 2011).
- Marcel Deneux: French politician, a member of the Senate of France.
- Ann Blyth: American singer and actress from 1944 to 1957, at which time she retired.
- Ann Blyth in Mount Kisko: New York, USA; actress (Kismet, Mildred Pierce).
- Eydie Gormé: American singer and actress (d. 2013)
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?