Friday 16 August 1940
It was Friday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Foreign Correspondent, directed by Alfred Hitchcock, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1940.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1940!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1940 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Bruce Beresford: Austral director (Driving Miss Daisy, Tender Mercies).
- Alix Dobkin: American lesbian folk singer-songwriter, who released a number of albums as well as a songbook and has toured the world.
- John Craven: English journalist and television presenter.
- 45 German aircrafts shot down over England
- World War II: The Communist Party is banned in German-occupied Norway.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?