Wednesday 16 August 1944
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
The Falcon in Mexico, directed by William Berke, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1944.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1944!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1944 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Kevin Ayers: English singer-songwriter and guitarist (Soft Machine) (d. 2013).
- Dick Zimmer: (Rep-R-New Jersey).
- Vittorio Zucconi: Italian journalist and son of a noted journalist.
- Roman Padlewski: Composer, dies at 28.
- 2nd Canadian Division occupies Falaise Normandy
- Chartres freed
- Dutch begin diplomatic contact with Vatican in London
- US 15th Army corp reaches Eure, surrounds Dreux
- First flight of the Junkers Ju 287.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1944 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?