Thursday 16 August 1945
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry, directed by Robert Siodmak, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1945
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1945.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1945!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1945 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Gary Loizzo: Chicago, Illinois -- Rock guitarist (American Breed).
- Gordon "Snowy" Fleet: Merseyside -- Rock drummer (Easybeats).
- Kevin Ayers: England, United Kingdom -- Progressive rocker (Joy of a Toy).
- Suzanne Farrell in Cincinnati: Ohio, USA; dancer (Don Quioxote).
- Robert Balaban in Chicago: Illinois, USA; actor (Absence of Malice, Altered States).
- Jim Blaikie: American homicide, a swindler and con man now in prison. He killed a business associate for insurance purposes and was a suspect in the death of his mother for the same reason, but there was not enough evidence to charge him for that death. He escaped to Hawaii or the South Pacific, but after a long search, he was found and convicted.
- Moria Casan: Argentine actress and TV personality. Casán made her theatre debut in 1970, and quickly became one of the country's leading vedettes during Argentina's Golden Age of revue. Her sex symbol status was further cemented during the late 1970s and 1980s, as she starred in various sexual comedy films alongside Alberto Olmedo, Jorge Porcel and Susana Giménez. Since the mid-1980s, Casán has also established herself as an important TV personality, hosting various sketch comedy programs and talk shows thro
- Suzanne Farrell: American professional ballet dancer accepted at 15 as a member of the New York City Ballet and protégé of director George Ballanchine, who became enchanted and obsessed with her. He trained, pampered and molded her, promoting her to soloist by 1965. Farrell became the Ballanchine ballerina par excellence, creating roles and working with the master in choreographing roles. Ballanchine was obsessed with her and fascinated by her gifts, but she stated that they were not lovers.
- Janot Lamberton: French 'glacionaute' (a caver who specializes in the exploration of glaciers).
- Sheila : French pop singer, she also performed under the name " Sheila and B. Devotion".
- Bob Balaban: Chicago, Illinois -- Actor / director (2010, Girlfriends)
- Russell Brookes: English race car driver
- An assassination attempt is made on Japan's prime minister, Kantaro Suzuki.
- Puyi, the last Chinese emperor and ruler of Manchukuo, is captured by Soviet troops.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1945 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Good, Good, Good (That's You-That's You) - Sammy Kaye & His Orchestra
- On the Atchison, Topeka, and the Santa Fe - Tommy Dorsey & His Orchestra
Get back in touch
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?