Friday 16 August 1946
It was Friday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
The Big Sleep, directed by Howard Hawks, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1946
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1946.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1946!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1946 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Masoud Barzani: Iranian-Kurdish politician President of Iraqi Kurdistan.
- Dick Murdoch: American professional wrestler (Born 1946).
- Lesley Warren: American actress and singer.
- Massoud Barzani: Iraqi Kurdish politician.
- Stephen Peck: American producer and noted family, the second son of Gregory Peck and Greta Konen.
- Lesley Ann Warren in New York City: New York, USA; actress (Cinderella, Mission Impossible).
- Herman Harrell Horne: Philosopher (idealism).
- Great Calcutta blood bath - Moslem / Hindu riot (3-4,000 die)
- he Kurdistan Democratic Party is founded in South Kurdistan.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1946 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- To Each His Own - Freddy Martin & His Orchestra
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?