Saturday 16 August 1947
It was Saturday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Carol Moseley Braun and John Howard (US) speed record (152284 mph at Bonneville Flats.
Body and Soul, directed by Robert Rossen, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1947
On TV people were watching Saturday Night at the Palace.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1947!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1947 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Carol Moseley Braun: American politician and lawyer.
- John Howard (US) speed record (152284 mph at Bonneville Flats: Utah).
- Anne Whitaker: Scottish professional astrologer, lives in Glasgow, Scotland.
- Carol Braun: American lawyer and politician United States Ambassador to New Zealand.
- Katharine Hamnett: English fashion designer.
- Marc Messier: Canadian actor
- Ralph Kiner becomes 1st Pirate to hit 3 consecutive HRs
- In Greece, General Markos Vafiadis takes over the government.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1947 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- The Lady from Twenty-Nine Palms - Tony Pastor & His Orchestra
- The Lady from 29 Palms - Freddy Martin & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?