Wednesday 16 August 1950
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
No Way Out, directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1950
while The Cardinal by Henry Morton Robinson was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1950.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1950!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1950 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Hasely Crawford: Trinidad -- 100m runner (1976 Olympics - Gold Medalist).
- Stockwell Day: Canadian businessman and politician 15th Canadian Minister of International Trade.
- Jeff Thomson: Australian cricketer.
- Neda Ukraden: Serbian singer.
- Marc Lachièze-Rey: French astrophysicist, cosmologist and theorist at CNRS, working in the laboratory 'AstroParticule and Cosmology' (APC) in Paris.
- Marshall Manesh: Iranian-born American actor
- West Indies complete historic 3-1 series win against England
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1950 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Red Foley & Ernest Tubb - Goodnight, Irene
- Can Anyone Explain? (No, No, No!) - Ames Brothers
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?