Thursday 16 August 1951
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Richard Hunt and Jean-Louis Normandin.
A Place in the Sun, directed by George Stevens, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1951
while The Caine Mutiny by Herman Wouk was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Adventures of Kit Carson.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1951!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1951 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Richard Hunt: American puppeteer (d. 1992).
- Jean-Louis Normandin: French hostage in Lebanon, 36, a lighting engineer for France's Antenne-2 television news, was abducted on 8 March 1986 in Beirut.
- Umaru Yar'Adua: Nigerian businessman and politician 13th President of Nigeria (d. 2010).
- Louis Jouvet: French theater director, producer, designer, theater worker, teacher and stage administrator in 1910 before his film and acting career.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1951 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Gimme a Little Kiss, Will Ya, Huh? - April Stevens (Henri Rene Orchestra)
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?