Saturday 16 August 1952
It was Saturday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
The Quiet Man, directed by John Ford, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1952
while The Caine Mutiny by Herman Wouk was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1952!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1952 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Philip Scott: Movie Actor.
- Mahes Goonatilleke: Sri Lankan cricketer.
- Gianna Rolandi: American soprano and actress.
- Reginald VelJohnson: American actor and screenwriter.
- Gianna Rolandi in New York City: New York, USA; soprano (Der Rosenkavalier).
- Lydia Field Emmet: American painter (Born 1866).
- Lynmouth, North Devon, England is devastated by floods 34 die.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1952 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 16 August 1952 and get them!