Sunday 16 August 1953
It was Sunday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
In UK I Believe by Frankie Laine was in the top 5 hits.
The Cruel Sea, directed by Charles Frend, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1953
while The High And The Mighty by Ernest K. Gann was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1953!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1953 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Catlin O'Heaney in Whitefish Bay: Wisconsin, USA; actress (Snow White - Charmings).
- JT Taylor: Funk Singer.
- Kathie Gifford: American entertainer, writer, and delightful TV show co-host, described as an “unabashed optimist.
- Kenneth Waters: American murder suspect who was convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment until, after 18 years, his conviction was reversed and he was freed, from the singular devotion and commitment of his sister.
- James ''JT'' Taylor: American singer (Kool & The Gang).
- Marco Confalonieri: Italian banker.
- Debra Greenlaw: American homicide victim, a pretty girl until wasted by drugs and prostitution to support her habit, who was one of nine women believed to be victims of a serial killer.
- Kathie Lee Gifford in Paris: Florida, USA; hostess (Live with Regis and Kathie Lee).
- Nick Leyva: baseball manager (Philadelphia Phillies 1988-91).
- KTAL TV channel 6 in Shreveport-Texarkana, LA (NBC) begins
- Shah of Persia and Princess Soraya flee to Baghdad and Rome
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1953 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 16 August 1953 and get them!