Tuesday 16 August 1966
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Ed Olczyk and Rosey Edeh.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Summer In The City by The Lovin' Spoonful.
In UK With A Girl Like You by Troggs was in the top 5 hits.
This Property Is Condemned, directed by Sydney Pollack, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1966
while Valley Of The Dolls by Jacqueline Susann was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Informer.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Cyborg 009.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1966!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1966 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Ed Olczyk: Chicago, Illinois -- NHL center (Winnipeg Jets).
- Rosey Edeh: London, England -- Canadian 400m hurdler (1992, 96 Olympics - 4th Place).
- Terry Shumpert: Paducah, Kentucky -- Infielder (Chicago Cubs).
- Barry Lather: American choreographer, musician and actor.
- Jack Mather: Actor (Cisco Kid), dies of heart attack at 58.
- Vietnam War: The House Un-American Activities Committee begins investigations of Americans who have aided the Viet Cong. The committee intends to introduce legislation making these activities illegal. Anti-war demonstrators disrupt the meeting and 50 people are arrested.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1966 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Lovin' Spoonful - Summer In The City
- Bobby Hebb - Sunny
- Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs - Lil' Red Riding Hood
- The Troggs - Wild Thing
- Napoleon XIV - They're Coming To Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa!
- The Happenings - See You In September
- Crispian St. Peters - The Pied Piper
- The Rolling Stones - Mothers Little Helper
- Petula Clark - I Couldn't Live Without Your Love
- Donovan - Sunshine Superman
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?