Friday 16 August 1968
It was Friday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Clovis Cornillac and Mateja Svet.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to People Got To Be Free by The Rascals.
In UK Mony Mony by Tommy James & The Shondells was in the top 5 hits.
Hang 'Em High, directed by Ted Post, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1968
while Testimony Of Two Men by Taylor Caldwell was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Frost on Sunday.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Hamurabi.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1968!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1968 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Clovis Cornillac: French theater, television and cinema actor, son of actress (Myriam Boyer).
- Mateja Svet: Slovenian alpine skier.
- Wolfgang Tillmans: German photographer.
- Arvind Kejriwal: Indian civil servant and politician 7th Chief Minister of Delhi.
- Luis Gianneo: Composer, dies at 71.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 16 August 1968
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1968 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Rascals - People Got To Be Free
- The Doors - Hello, I Love You
- Mason Williams - Classical Gas
- Steppenwolf - Born To Be Wild
- Jose Feliciano - Light My Fire
- The 5th Dimension - Stoned Soul Picnic
- The Vogues - Turn Around, Look At Me
- The Cream - Sunshine Of Your Love
- Hugh Masekela - Grazing In The Grass
- Donovan - Hurdy Gurdy Man
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?