Monday 16 August 1971
It was Monday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Nigel Williams and Troy Alexander.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to How Can You Mend A Broken Heart by Bee Gees.
In UK I'm Still Waiting by Diana Ross was in the top 5 hits.
Deep End, directed by Jerzy Skolimowski, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1971
while The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Hei-Wi-Tip-Top.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Galaxy Game or Star Trek.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1971!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1971 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Nigel Williams: CFL receiver (Montreal Alouettes).
- Troy Alexander: CFL defensive tackle (Saskatchewan Roughriders).
- Willie Jackson: NFL wide receiver (Jacksonville Jaguars).
- Rulon Gardner: American wrestler and mixed martial artist.
- Stefan Klos: German footballer.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1971 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bee Gees - How Can You Mend A Broken Heart
- Jean Knight - Mr. Big Stuff
- John Denver - Take Me Home, Country Roads
- Marvin Gaye - Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)
- James Taylor - You've Got A Friend
- Creedence Clearwater Revival - Sweet Hitch-Hiker
- Chicago - Beginnings
- Five Man Electrical Band - Signs
- Tommy James - Draggin' The Line
- Three Dog Night - Liar
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?