Wednesday 16 August 1972
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Alone Again (Naturally) by Gilbert O'Sullivan.
In UK School's Out by Alice Cooper was in the top 5 hits.
And Now for Something Completely Different, directed by Ian MacNaughton, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1972
while Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1972.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1972!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1972 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Eddie Goines: NFL wide receiver (Seattle Seahawks).
- Michael Reed: NFL cornerback (Carolina Panthers).
- Michael Thornberry: Virginia Beach, Virginia -- Team handball circle (1996 Olympics).
- Zach Wiegert: Tackle (St. Louis Rams).
- Emily Robison: American musician; one of the original founders of the Dixie Chicks.
- Frankie Boyle: Scottish comedian
- Stan Lazaridis: Australian footballer
- George Stroumboulopoulos: Canadian television and radio personality
- 54th PGA Championship: Gary Player shoots a 281 at Oakland Hills, Michigan
- Philip Potter appointed Secretary General of World council of Churches
- In an unsuccessful coup d'etat attempt, the Royal Moroccan Air Force fires upon Hassan II of Morocco's plane while he is traveling back to Rabat.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1972 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Gilbert O'Sullivan - Alone Again (Naturally)
- Looking Glass - Brandy (You're A Fine Girl)
- The Hollies - Long Cool Woman (In A Black Dress)
- Luther Ingram - (If Loving You Is Wrong) I Don't Want To Be Right
- Al Green - I'm Still In Love With You
- Roberta Flack - Where Is The Love
- Wayne Newton - Daddy Don't You Walk So Fast
- Argent - Hold Your Head Up
- Nilsson - Coconut
- Carpenters - Goodbye To Love
Get back in touch
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?