Wednesday 16 August 1989
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was George H. W. Bush (Republican). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Right Here Waiting by Richard Marx.
In UK Swing The Mood by Jive Bunny & The Mastermixers was in the top 5 hits.
Uncle Buck, directed by John Hughes, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1989
while Polar Star by Martin Cruz Smith was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1989.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1989!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1989 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
Famous Birthdays:16 August
- Amanda Blake: American actress (Gunsmoke), dies at age 60 (born 1929).
- Roger Kingdom of USA sets the 110m hurdle record (12.92) in Zurich, Switzerland.
- A solar flare from the Sun creates a geomagnetic storm that affects micro chips, leading to a halt of all trading on Toronto's stock market.
- August 17 ampndash Woodstock '89 festival.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1989 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?