Friday 16 August 1996
It was Friday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Bill Clinton (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Maverick Burnett and Cami Branson.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Macarena (Bayside Boys Mix) by Los Del Rio.
In UK Wannabe by The Spice Girls was in the top 5 hits.
She's the One, directed by Edward Burns, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1996
while How to Kill a Monster by R.L. Stine was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Leaving Home.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Cheesy or Spider-Man Web of Fire.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1996!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1996 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
Famous Birthdays:16 August
- Brookfield Zoo, Chicago, Illinois. After a three year old boy falls into the deep gorilla enclosure, Binti Jua, a female silverback gorilla sits with the injured boy until his rescue. Video of the ape's actions make her world famous.
- After having spent 378 days in Taliban prison, the crew of Russian Il-76TD managed to overpower their guards, board their aircraft and fly to freedom (see: 1995 Airstan incident).
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 16 August 1996
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1996 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Los Del Rio - Macarena (Bayside Boys Mix)
- Keith Sweat - Twisted
- Quad City DJ's - C'Mon N' Ride It (The Train)
- Toni Braxton - You're Makin' Me High
- Eric Clapton - Change The World
- LL Cool J - Loungin'
- R. Kelly - I Can't Sleep Baby (If I)
- 2 Pac - How Do U Want It
- Donna Lewis - I Love You Always Forever
- Tracy Chapman - Give Me One Reason
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?