Wednesday 16 August 2006
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican). In that special week of August people in US were listening to London Bridge by Fergie.
In UK Hips Don't Lie by Shakira featuring Wyclef Jean was in the top 5 hits.
Accepted, directed by Steve Pink, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2006
while Lifeguard by James Patterson, Andrew Gross was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2006.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 2006!
Which were the important events of 16 August 2006 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- John Mark Karr is arrested in Bangkok for the 1996 murder of U.S. child beauty queen JonBenét Ramsey. (MSNBC)
- Terminal 18 of the Port of Seattle is evacuated after bomb-sniffing dogs indicate that at least one container recently taken off a ship may contain explosives. (Seattle Herald)
- Javier Arellano Félix, leader of the Arrellano Félix drug cartel and brother of former FBI Ten Most Wanted listee Ramón Arellano Félix, is arrested by the United States Coast Guard in a boat in the Gulf of California off La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico. (FoxNews.com)
- A Russian border patrol boat fires on a Japanese crab fishing boat near Kaigara Island, part of the Kuril Islands. One fisherman is killed and three others detained by the Russian authorities. (AP)
- The International Astronomical Union proposes a new definition for a planet to be voted on August 24 which would include Charon, Eris, and Ceres as planets. (BBC)
- United Airlines Flight 923 makes an emergency landing in Boston. The original course was London to Washington D.C. Fighter jets escorted the plane to the airport. (AP via Fox News)
- 2006 Israel-Lebanon conflict:
- The Israeli ambassador to Canada, Alan Baker, criticises Bloc Québécois leader Gilles Duceppe for participating in an Aug. 6 Montreal march in which a few Hezbollah supporters also took part. The march was, however, a protest against war and not a show of support for Hezbollah. (CTV)
- The Government of Israel says the withdrawal from South Lebanon will stop if Lebanese troops are not deployed there within days. (Reuters)
- The South Korean based Good Friends aid agency estimates that in North Korea 54,700 people have died due to massive flooding in July. The DPRK Government claims only ampquothundredsampquot have died. (IHT)
- The death toll from the flooding of the Omo River in southern Ethiopia nears 500. (BBC)
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2006 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Let the Lower Lights be Burning - Harry Anthony & James F. Harrison
- Fergie - London Bridge
- Gnarls Barkley - Crazy
- Nelly Furtado - Promiscuous
- Cassie - Me & U
- The Pussycat Dolls - Buttons
- Beyonce - Deja Vu
- Sean Paul - (When You Gonna) Give It Up To Me
- Christina Aguilera - Ain't No Other Man
- Yung Joc - It's Goin' Down
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?