Saturday 16 August 2008
It was Saturday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican). In that special week of August people in US were listening to I Kissed A Girl by Katy Perry.
Death Race, directed by Paul W.S. Anderson, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2008
while Twilight by Stephenie Meyer was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2008.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 2008!
Which were the important events of 16 August 2008 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 16 August
- Masanobu Fukuoka: Japanese sustainable farmer and author (Born 1913).
- Elena Leusteanu: Romanian gymnast and Olympic medalist (Born 1935).
- Dorival Caymmi: Brazilian singer, songwriter, actor, and painter active for more than 70 years beginning in 1933.
- Ronnie Drew: Irish singer-songwriter and guitarist (The Dubliners) (d. 2008).
- 2008 South Ossetia war:
- Georgian officials claim Abkhazian army, backed by the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation, takes control of 13 Georgian villages. (AFP via ABC News Australia)
- The President of Russia Dmitry Medvedev signs the six-point peace plan for a ceasefire in the 2008 South Ossetia War. (Press Trust of India)
- 2008 Atlantic Hurricane season: The Governor of Florida Charlie Crist declares a state of emergency as Tropical Storm Fay is due to hit Florida on Monday, possibly at hurricane strength. (AP via ''The Guardian'')
- A bomb explodes outside the house of Mayor Lito Pinol in the city of Mlang, Philippines, but fails to assassinate the Mayor. Police successfully defuse a bomb placed in the market of Kidapawan City. (''Khaleej Times'')
- At least eight people die and 60 are injured after a passenger train collides with a goods train in Indonesia's Lampung province. (Reuters via ''International Herald Tribune'')
- Athletics at the 2008 Summer Olympics:
- Sprinter Usain Bolt of Jamaica wins the 100 metre-title in a world record time. (''The New York Times'')
- Swimming at the 2008 Summer Olympics:
- Michael Phelps of the United States wins his seventh gold medal of the 2008 Summer Olympics in the 100 metre butterfly, tying Mark Spitz's record for gold medals at an Olympic Games. (''The New York Times'')
- Rebecca Adlington of Great Britain wins the 800 metres freestyle, breaking Janet Evans' 19 year old world record in the process. (''The New York Times'')
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2008 ?
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?