Monday 16 August 2010
It was Monday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Love The Way You Lie by Eminem.
Piranha, directed by Alexandre Aja, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2010
while The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 2010!
Which were the important events of 16 August 2010 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 16 August
- Bobby Thomson: Scotland born American baseball player (d. 2010).
- The Philippine security forces announce they will extend the controversial counter-insurgency tactic Oplan Bantay Laya up until December 31, 2010. The political party Bagong Alyansang Makabayan condemned the extension. (GMA News)
- 3 more people are killed during protests in Kashmir. (BBC)
- At least 2 people are injured after a grenade explosion outside a Televisa television station in Monterrey, Nuevo León, Mexico. (CNN)
- The mayor of the Mexican town of Santiago, Nuevo León, Edelmiro Cavazos, is abducted. (''China Daily'')
- War in Afghanistan (2001–present):
- The President of Afghanistan Hamid Karzai gives private security firms operating in that country four months to disband. (Aljazeera)
- General Stanley A. McChrystal, recently sacked from his post in Afghanistan by the United States for speaking to ''Rolling Stone'', is given a lecturing post at a major university in the United States. (''The New York Times'')
- Nadja Benaissa, a HIV-positive former singer in the German girl band No Angels, goes on trial for allegedly not advising sexual partners of her condition. (AFP via ''Philippine Daily Inquirer'')
- U.S. actor Michael Douglas begins chemotherapy after doctors discover a tumor in his throat. (MTV)
- Politicians and intellectuals including Étienne Balibar, Noam Chomsky, Daniel Cohn-Bendit and Eva Joly appeal to Nicolas Sarkozy that France repay €17 billion it took from Haiti in 1825 after the Haitian Revolution (1791–1804) they say the money is ampquotmorally, economically, and legally unassailableampquot in the aftermath of the January 2010 earthquake. (''The Guardian'')
- 2010 Pakistan floods:
- The devastating floods continue as a concern of the United Nations, with officials citing a lack of aid funding for six million people in urgent need of clean water. (New York Times)
- The United Nations states there is high risk for as many as 3.5 million children who may be struck down by diseases in the water. (Aljazeera)
- Russia is battered by a severe storm following its recent heatwave, its hottest summer in recorded history. (BBC)
- An explosion at a maternity hospital in Romania's capital Bucharest, kills at least 4 babies, while 2 pregnant women and 8 newborn infants sustain burns and other injuries in serious condition. (CNN)
- As many as 40 people are killed due to a fiery collision between a lorry load of sugar and a police checkpoint in Nigeria. (News24)
- Easter Island
- Community leaders in Easter Island threaten to secede from Chile, prompting the resignation of Governor Pedro Edmunds Paoa. (''The Guardian'')
- Pro-independence activists reportedly seize control of government buildings, a museum and a hotel located on land claimed by ethnic Polynesians. (''Times Herald-Record'')
- 45 Chilean special forces have been sent to Easter Island to monitor events. (RNZI)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2010 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 16 August 2010 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?