Thursday 16 August 2012
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen.
Sparkle, directed by Salim Akil, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while Fifty Shades Freed by E L James was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2012.
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 2012!
Which were the important events of 16 August 2012 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 16 August
- Syrian civil war:
- The Organisation of Islamic Cooperation suspends Syria's membership in the group. (''The Jakarta Post'')
- The United Nations Security Council ends its observer mission in Syria. (Al Jazeera)
- A diplomat claims that Maher Assad lost a leg in the Damascus bombing on 18 July 2012. (Reuters via ''The Telegraph'')
- An UN official estimates that 1 million people are uprooted by the conflict. 2.5 million people need urgent humanitarian aid, up from 1 million in March. (''Evening Standard'')
- Stand-off between Ecuador and Britain over Julian Assange:
- At least five supporters of Julian Assange are forcibly led away by uniformed officers. Some protesters use loudspeakers to criticize the actions of British authorities in threatening to breach the embassy's diplomatic immunity. (AAP via ''The Sydney Morning Herald'')
- Ecuador grants political asylum to Assange. (Al Jazeera)
- War on Terror:
- Afghanistan: ISAF announces 11 people have been killed in a Black Hawk helicopter crash in southern Afghanistan, including seven U.S. soldiers and four members of the Afghan National Army. Taliban insurgents claim they downed it. (Reuters)
- Pakistan: Gunmen attack the Pakistan Air Force Minhas base in Punjab with five soldiers and nine attackers reported dead. (Reuters)
- Iraq: At least 113 people are killed and almost 200 wounded in a series of attacks across Baghdad and five other provinces. The authorities believe al-Qaeda to be responsible. The deadliest explosion strikes an amusement park in the east of the capital, claiming 34 lives and injuring 54, most of them women and children. (CNN)
- Ten people are injured following clashes between anti-government protesters and police in Gabon. (IOL)
- South African police open fire on striking workers at a mine after violent clashes, leaving at least 12 dead. (Al Jazeera)
- After an outbreak of the mosquito-borne West Nile virus kills at least 17 people, the mayor of Dallas Mike Rawlings declares a state of emergency in the city. This paves the way for aerial spraying of synthetic pyrethroid insecticides from tonight on. Many residents express their concerns over safety and effectiveness they suggest other preventive methods of mosquito control. Officials said the measures could cost as much as $1.2 million. (Dallas News)
- Japan is to deport 14 pro-China activists who landed on the disputed Senkaku Islands. (Channel News Asia)
- Two Louisiana sheriff's deputies are killed and two others wounded in a shooting outside the Bayou Steel Plant, in LaPlace, Louisiana, Louisiana State Police report. Two suspects are in custody and one remains on the loose. (CNN)
- Gay rights activists hack the website of the Ugandan prime minister over the government's stance towards homosexuality. (BBC)
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2012 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
What news were making the headlines those days in August 2012?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?